Broad City is an American comedy series on Comedy Central. The series was co-created by Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, but originally started as a web-series by the same name. After much acclaim, the two worked with Amy Poehler on a script that eventually ended up at Comedy Central.
Broad City follows two young women living in New York City and trying to navigate everyday life.
- The characters are based on the younger versions of Abbi and Ilana who were 22 and 19 when they first met.
- The two women started the web series in part because they weren’t getting cast and in part to show their parents evidence of what they were pursuing.
- When Abbi first set eyes on Ilana she thought Ilana was Alia Shawkat from Arrested Development.
- Comedy Central renewed Broad City for a third season before the second even premiered.
- The first script was originally sold to FX, but the network did not move ahead with it.